Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Week Six


This week was a pretty slow week. Tuesday was a great morning. I went with Klarida to open up the water in old Pajove. It is about a 10 minute walk up the mountain to the water tank. It was a beautiful morning and we saw snakes, turtles, and frogs. We picked and ate green plums (way before they are ripe). They were a bit sour, but really good. It was a great time with Klarida. I have always had trouble being around her just because neither of us are great conversationalist and the language barrier just makes it that much more difficult. It was nice to have a morning where their was none of that for once.

Later that night we went to Klarida’s parents house in Paperim (about a 10 minute drive from Pajove). Klarida took me with her to drop off some materials to the local seamstress for a dress she was having made. When we got to the house and they saw me, Klarida told them that I was an American who was living with her. It was like I was a celebrity. I have been stared at before, but this time, it was almost like I was an alien who was to be revered (if that makes any sense). It was an interesting experience. They were very nice, but I would bet my life that I was the first American that they had ever set eyes on. It was strange experience. So far I have met people that have at least seen an American before and I became use to that type of stare, but this was on a whole other level.

After Tuesday, my week went kind of on a down turn for a few days. I got a really bad cold, which can be difficult to get through when you are living in a country and still have minimal language abilities. The culture here is to help as much as possible and to not leave someone alone if they are sick. I have the complete opposite idea of what I want when I am sick. I prefer to be left alone. So, it is difficult to find a balance and not offending your family when they want to do more for you.

On Friday, I was learned that another volunteer’s site has been moved and he will now be my site-mate. His name is Kumar. I am really excited. It will be really nice to have another American that I can talk to in person.

And Saturday, we had language tutoring and then went bowling in Elbasan. It was fantastic. The bowling ally was on the outskirts of the city, but it was so much fun. I learned that I am just as a bad a bowler in Albania as in the US. I didn’t make it above 75 points in either of the two games we played. Needless to say, I came in last in both games.

2 comments:

  1. I just can't get over that blue blue blue sky!

    We'll take a look at your blog and maybe write our next letters this Friday if we have time -- it's Multicultural Day at DWE! Perfect to write letters to someone who is LIVING it on the other side of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude I so love you - you are amazing :) I'm glad you'll have a site-mate it'll help to have someone to brainstorm with. Have you met him yet? I'm also glad to know you got to go out and go bowling which means that you were at least feeling well enough to get up and go out bowling which is good because I worry - but see I know the rule about leaving you alone and checking in every once in a while ;) Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete