Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Lezhe 4th of July Party!


The week of the Fourth was a busy week and full of delicious food! On the third of July, I woke up from the overnight camp and helped break down camp and then I went home and packed and left for Lezhe (a city on the coast of Albania). The volunteers, who are posted there, had decided to throw a Fourth of July party. We started the party by going to a Lokal (bar) and we had cheeseburgers, coleslaw, potato salad, watermelon, cake, and Jello. It was delicious! We stayed at the café until the end of the second World Cup game of the night. After finishing the camp we went out to Shengjen beach and that is where we slept the night. We were right there next to the waves and we climbed on old bunkers and played in the sand. By around 2am we went to sleep and then only about 2-3 hours later we woke up because that is apparently the time that Albanians start to come to the beach. I woke up to find many Albanian staring at the strange foreigners who are sleeping on the beach. I am not exaggerating about the staring that was going on. I believe there was some pointing too. Since we were awake we decided to leave and I was actually able to catch the 6:45am bus back to Fushe-Arrez. I definitely did not think that would happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment